- A small carnivorous mammal (Felis catus or F. domesticus) domesticated since early times as a catcher of rats and mice and as a pet and existing in several distinctive breeds and varieties.
- Any of various other carnivorous mammals of the family Felidae, which includes the lion, tiger, leopard, and lynx.
- The fur of a domestic cat.
- Informal A woman who is regarded as spiteful.
- Slang A person, especially a man.
- Slang A player or devotee of jazz music.
- A cat-o'-nine-tails.
- A catfish.
- Nautical A cathead.
- Nautical A device for raising an anchor to the cathead.
- Nautical A catboat.
- Nautical A catamaran.
- Nautical To hoist an anchor to (the cathead).
- Slang To look for sexual partners; have an affair or affairs: "catting around with every lady in sight” ( Gore Vidal).
- let the cat out of the bag To let a secret be known.