- The combination of qualities or features that distinguishes one person, group, or thing from another. See Synonyms at disposition.
- A distinguishing feature or attribute, as of an individual, group, or category. See Synonyms at quality.
- Genetics A structure, function, or attribute determined by a gene or group of genes.
- Moral or ethical strength.
- A description of a person's attributes, traits, or abilities.
- A formal written statement as to competency and dependability, given by an employer to a former employee; a recommendation.
- Public estimation of someone; reputation: personal attacks that damaged her character.
- Status or role; capacity: in his character as the father.
- A notable or well-known person; a personage.
- A person, especially one who is peculiar or eccentric: a shady character; catcalls from some character in the back row.
- A person portrayed in an artistic piece, such as a drama or novel.
- Characterization in fiction or drama: a script that is weak in plot but strong in character.
- A mark or symbol used in a writing system.
- Computer Science One of a set of symbols, such as letters or numbers, that are arranged to express information.
- Computer Science The numerical code representing such a character.
- A style of printing or writing.
- A symbol used in secret writing; a cipher or code.
- Of or relating to one's character.
- Specializing in the interpretation of often minor roles that emphasize fixed personality traits or specific physical characteristics: a character actor.
- Of or relating to the interpretation of such roles by an actor: the character part of the hero's devoted mother.
- Dedicated to the portrayal of a person with regard to distinguishing psychological or physical features: a character sketch.
- Law Of or relating to a person who gives testimony as to the moral and ethical reputation or behavior of one engaged in a lawsuit: a character witness.
- Archaic To write, print, engrave, or inscribe.
- Archaic To portray or describe.
- in character Consistent with someone's general character or behavior: behavior that was totally in character.
- out of character Inconsistent with someone's general character or behavior: a response so much out of character that it amazed me.