- Often encountered or seen. See Synonyms at common.
- Having fair knowledge; acquainted: was familiar with those roads.
- Of established friendship; intimate: on familiar terms.
- Natural and unstudied; informal: lectured in a familiar style.
- Taking undue liberties; presumptuous: Students should not be familiar toward an instructor.
- Domesticated; tame. Used of animals.
- A close friend or associate.
- An attendant spirit, often taking animal form.
- One who performs domestic service in the household of a high official.
- A person who frequents a place.