The act of giving premature birth; particularly, the expulsion of the human fetus prematurely, or before it is capable of sustaining life; miscarriage.
- Termination of pregnancy and expulsion of an embryo or of a fetus that is incapable of survival.
- Any of various procedures that result in such termination and expulsion. Also called induced abortion.
- The premature expulsion of a nonviable fetus from the uterus; a miscarriage.
- Cessation of normal growth, especially of an organ or other body part, prior to full development or maturation.
- An aborted organism.
- Something malformed or incompletely developed; a monstrosity.