From side to side; athwart; crosswise, or in a direction opposed to the length; quite over; as, a bridge laid across a river.
- On, at, or from the other side of: across the street.
- So as to cross; through: drew lines across the paper.
- From one side of to the other: a bridge across a river.
- Into contact with: came across my old roommate.
- From one side to the other: The footbridge swayed when I ran across.
- On or to the opposite side: We came across by ferry.
- Crosswise; crossed.
- In such a manner as to be comprehensible, acceptable, or successful: put our idea across; get a message across.
- Being in a crossed position: seated with arms across.