Added to a substantive as an attribute; of the nature of an adjunct; as, an adjective word or sentence.
- The part of speech that modifies a noun or other substantive by limiting, qualifying, or specifying and distinguished in English morphologically by one of several suffixes, such as -able, -ous, -er, and -est, or syntactically by position directly preceding a noun or nominal phrase.
- Any of the words belonging to this part of speech, such as white in the phrase a white house.
- Adjectival: an adjective clause.
- Law Prescriptive; remedial: adjective law.
- Not standing alone; derivative or dependent.