To give notice to; to inform or apprise; to notify; to make known; hence, to warn; -- often followed by of before the subject of information; as, to advertise a man of his loss.
- To make public announcement of, especially to proclaim the qualities or advantages of (a product or business) so as to increase sales. See Synonyms at announce.
- To make known; call attention to: advertised my intention to resign.
- To warn or notify: "This event advertises me that there is such a fact as death” ( Henry David Thoreau).
- To call the attention of the public to a product or business.
- To inquire or seek in a public notice, as in a newspaper: advertise for an apartment.