That which is done or is to be done; matter; concern; as, a difficult affair to manage; business of any kind, commercial, professional, or public; -- often in the plural. "At the head of affairs." Junius.
- Something done or to be done; business.
- Transactions and other matters of professional or public business: affairs of state.
- An occurrence, event, or matter: The senator's death was a tragic affair.
- A social function.
- An object or a contrivance: Their first car was a ramshackle affair.
- A matter of personal concern.
- Personal business: get one's affairs in order.
- A matter causing public scandal and controversy: the Dreyfus affair.
- A romantic and sexual relationship, sometimes one of brief duration, between two people who are not married to each other.