The plea or mode of defense under which a person on trial for a crime proves or attempts to prove that he was in another place when the alleged act was committed; as, to set up an alibi; to prove an alibi.
- Law A form of defense whereby a defendant attempts to prove that he or she was elsewhere when the crime in question was committed.
- Law The fact of having been elsewhere when a crime in question was committed.
- Usage Problem An explanation offered to avoid blame or justify action; an excuse.
- To make an excuse for oneself.
- To make an excuse for (another).