To praise; to approve of; hence, to sanction.
- To let do or happen; permit: We allow smoking only in restricted areas.
- To permit the presence of: No pets are allowed inside.
- To permit to have: allow oneself a little treat.
- To make provision for; assign: The schedule allows time for a coffee break.
- To plan for in case of need: allow two inches in the fabric for shrinkage.
- To grant as a discount or in exchange: allowed me 20 dollars on my old typewriter.
- Chiefly Southern & Midland U.S. To admit; concede: I allowed he was right.
- Chiefly Southern & Midland U.S. To think; suppose: "We allow he's straight” ( American Speech).
- Chiefly Southern & Midland U.S. To assert; declare: Mother allowed that we'd better come in for dinner.
- To offer a possibility; admit: The poem allows of several interpretations.
- To take a possibility into account; make allowance: In calculating profit, retailers must allow for breakage and spoilage.