Offering a choice of two things.
- The choice between two mutually exclusive possibilities.
- A situation presenting such a choice.
- Either of these possibilities. See Synonyms at choice.
- Usage Problem One of a number of things from which one must be chosen.
- Allowing or necessitating a choice between two or more things.
- Existing outside traditional or established institutions or systems: an alternative lifestyle.
- Espousing or reflecting values that are different from those of the establishment or mainstream: an alternative newspaper; alternative greeting cards.
- Usage Problem Substitute or different; other.