Old; that happened or existed in former times, usually at a great distance of time; belonging to times long past; specifically applied to the times before the fall of the Roman empire; -- opposed to modern; as, ancient authors, literature, history; ancient days.
- Of great age; very old.
- Of or relating to times long past, especially those of the historical period before the fall of the Western Roman Empire (A.D. 476). See Synonyms at old.
- Old-fashioned; antiquated.
- Having the qualities associated with age, wisdom, or long use; venerable.
- A very old person.
- A person who lived in times long past.
- The peoples of the classical nations of antiquity.
- The ancient Greek and Roman authors.
- Archaic An ensign; a flag.
- Obsolete A flag-bearer or lieutenant.