To give natural life to; to make alive; to quicken; as, the soul animates the body.
- To give life to; fill with life.
- To impart interest or zest to; enliven: "The party was animated by all kinds of men and women” ( René Dubos).
- To fill with spirit, courage, or resolution; encourage. See Synonyms at encourage.
- To inspire to action; prompt.
- To impart motion or activity to.
- To make, design, or produce (a cartoon, for example) so as to create the illusion of motion.
- Possessing life; living. See Synonyms at living.
- Of or relating to animal life as distinct from plant life.
- Belonging to the class of nouns that stand for living things: The word dog is animate; the word car is inanimate.