Any object, act, state, event, or fact whatever; thing of any kind; something or other; aught; as, I would not do it for anything.
- Any object, occurrence, or matter whatever.
- To any degree or extent; at all: They aren't anything like last year's team.
- Something or someone of importance: "You had to be something to start with, and Jeremy never was anything” ( Anne Tyler).
- anything but By no means; not at all: I was anything but happy about going.
- anything goes Anything is permissible or likely to be tolerated.
- like anything To an exceeding degree: We worked like anything to meet the deadline.