To lay or place; to put or adjust (one thing to another); -- with to; as, to apply the hand to the breast; to apply medicaments to a diseased part of the body.
- To bring into nearness or contact with something; put on, upon, or to: applied glue sparingly to the paper.
- To put to or adapt for a special use: applies all her money to her mortgage.
- To put into action: applied the brakes.
- To devote (oneself or one's efforts) to something: applied myself to my studies.
- To be pertinent or relevant: a rule that applies to everyone.
- To request or seek assistance, employment, or admission: applied for unemployment benefits; will apply to college next year. See Synonyms at resort.