The place in which public records or historic documents are kept.
- A place or collection containing records, documents, or other materials of historical interest. Often used in the plural: old land deeds in the municipal archives.
- Computer Science A long-term storage area, often on magnetic tape, for backup copies of files or for files that are no longer in active use.
- Computer Science A file containing one or more files in compressed format for more efficient storage and transfer.
- A repository for stored memories or information: the archive of the mind.
- To place or store in an archive.
- Computer Science To copy or compress (a file) into an archive.