On, or to, one side; out of a straight line, course, or direction; at a little distance from the rest; out of the way; apart.
- To or toward the side: step aside.
- Out of one's thoughts or mind: put my doubts aside.
- Apart: a day set aside for relaxing.
- In reserve; away: put a little money aside.
- Set out of the way; dispensed with: All joking aside, can you swim 15 miles?
- A piece of dialogue intended for the audience and supposedly not heard by the other actors on stage.
- A remark made in an undertone so as to be inaudible to others nearby.
- A parenthetical departure; a digression.