To appoint; to allot; to apportion; to make over.
- To set apart for a particular purpose; designate: assigned a day for the inspection.
- To select for a duty or office; appoint: firefighters assigned to the city's industrial park.
- To give out as a task; allot: assigned homework to the class.
- To ascribe; attribute: sorted the rocks by assigning them to different categories. See Synonyms at attribute.
- Law To transfer (property, rights, or interests) from one to another.
- To place (a person or a military unit) under a specific command.
- Law An assignee.