To bring to a likeness or to conformity; to cause a resemblance between.
- Physiology To consume and incorporate (nutrients) into the body after digestion.
- Physiology To transform (food) into living tissue by the process of anabolism; metabolize constructively.
- To incorporate and absorb into the mind: assimilate knowledge.
- To make similar; cause to resemble.
- Linguistics To alter (a sound) by assimilation.
- To absorb (immigrants or a culturally distinct group) into the prevailing culture.
- To become assimilated.