A square hall lighted from above, into which rooms open at one or more levels.
- Architecture A rectangular court, as:
- Architecture A usually skylighted central area, often containing plants, in some modern buildings, especially of a public or commercial nature.
- Architecture The open area in the center of an ancient Roman house.
- Architecture The forecourt of a building, such as an early Christian church, enclosed on three or four sides with porticoes.
- Anatomy A body cavity or chamber, especially either of the upper chambers of the heart that receives blood from the veins and forces it into a ventricle. Also called auricle.