To make thin or slender, as by mechanical or chemical action upon inanimate objects, or by the effects of starvation, disease, etc., upon living bodies.
- To make slender, fine, or small: The drought attenuated the river to a narrow channel.
- To reduce in force, value, amount, or degree; weaken: Medicine attenuated the fever's effect.
- To lessen the density of; rarefy.
- Biology To make (bacteria or viruses) less virulent.
- Electronics To reduce (the amplitude of an electrical signal) with little or no distortion.
- To become thin, weak, or fine.
- Reduced or weakened, as in strength, value, or virulence.
- Botany Gradually tapering to a slender point.