The state or quality of being automatic; the power of self-moving; automatic, mechanical, or involuntary action. (Metaph.) A theory as to the activity of matter.
- The state or quality of being automatic.
- Automatic mechanical action.
- Philosophy The theory that the body is a machine whose functions are accompanied but not controlled by consciousness.
- Physiology The involuntary functioning of an organ or other body structure that is not under conscious control, such as the beating of the heart or the dilation of the pupil of the eye.
- Physiology The reflexive action of a body part.
- Psychology Mechanical, seemingly aimless behavior characteristic of various mental disorders.