In baseball, a fence, prop. at least 90 feet behind the home base, to stop the balls that pass the catcher; also, the catcher himself.
- Sports A screen or fence used to prevent a ball from being thrown or hit far out of a playing area, as in baseball.
- Baseball A catcher.
- Something that supports or bolsters.
- To serve as a backstop for.
- To support or bolster: "The firm lacks a topflight strategic-consulting arm to backstop its technology gurus” ( Alex Beam).
- To substitute for (another) in an emergency.