A kind of fine muslin, made in the East Indies from the fiber of the banana leaf stalks.
- To prohibit, especially by official decree: The city council banned billboards on most streets. See Synonyms at forbid.
- South African Under the former system of apartheid, to deprive (a person suspected of illegal activity) of the right of free movement and association with others.
- Archaic To curse.
- An excommunication or condemnation by church officials.
- A prohibition imposed by law or official decree: a ban on cigarette smoking on airplanes.
- Censure, condemnation, or disapproval expressed especially by public opinion.
- A curse; an imprecation.
- A summons to arms in feudal times.
- See Table at currency.