A kind of flag attached to a spear or pike by a crosspiece, and used by a chief as his standard in battle.
- A piece of cloth attached to a staff and used as a standard by a monarch, military commander, or knight.
- The flag of a nation, state, or army.
- A piece of cloth bearing a motto or legend, as of a club.
- A headline spanning the width of a newspaper page.
- Botany See standard.
- Unusually good; outstanding: a banner year for the company.
- Informal To give a banner headline to (a story or item) in a newspaper.