A title of honor in Turkey and in some other parts of the East; a bey.
- To ask for as charity: begged money while sitting in a doorway.
- To ask earnestly for or of; entreat: begged me for help.
- To evade; dodge: a speech that begged the real issues.
- To take for granted without proof: beg the point in a dispute.
- To solicit alms.
- To make a humble or urgent plea.
- beg off To ask to be released from something, such as an obligation: We were invited to stay for dinner, but we had to beg off.