The act or fact of coming into life, or of being born; -- generally applied to human beings; as, the birth of a son.
- The emergence and separation of offspring from the body of the mother.
- The act or process of bearing young; parturition: the mare's second birth.
- The circumstances or conditions relating to this event, as its time or location: an incident that took place before my birth; a Bostonian by birth.
- The set of characteristics or circumstances received from one's ancestors; inheritance: strong-willed by birth; acquired their wealth through birth.
- Origin; extraction: of Swedish birth; of humble birth.
- Noble or high status: persons of birth.
- A beginning or commencement. See Synonyms at beginning.
- Chiefly Southern U.S. To deliver (a baby).
- Chiefly Southern U.S. To bear (a child).