To take the color out of, and make white; to bleach; as, to blanch linen; age has blanched his hair.
- To take the color from; bleach.
- To whiten (a growing plant or plant part) by covering to cut off direct light.
- To whiten (a metal) by soaking in acid or by coating with tin.
- To scald (almonds, for example) in order to loosen the skin.
- To scald (food) briefly, as before freezing or as a preliminary stage in preparing a dish.
- To cause to turn white or become pale.
- To turn white or become pale: Their faces blanched in terror.