Without color; pale; pallid.
- Gloomy and somber: "Life in the Aran Islands has always been bleak and difficult” ( John Millington Synge).
- Providing no encouragement; depressing: a bleak prospect.
- Cold and cutting; raw: bleak winds of the North Atlantic.
- Exposed to the elements; unsheltered and barren: the bleak, treeless regions of the high Andes.
- A small European freshwater fish of the genus Alburnus that is related to the carp and has silvery scales used in the manufacture of artificial pearls.