- A loop of leather, cloth, or synthetic material that is sewn at the side or the top rear of a boot to help in pulling the boot on.
- An instance of starting of a computer; a boot.
- To promote and develop by use of one's own initiative and work without reliance on outside help: "We've bootstrapped our way back with aggressive tourism and recruiting high tech industries” ( John Corrigan).
- Computer Science To boot (a computer).
- Undertaken or accomplished with minimal outside help.
- Being or relating to a process that is self-initiating or self-sustaining.
- by (one's) (own) bootstraps By one's own efforts.