To receive from another as a loan, with the implied or expressed intention of returning the identical article or its equivalent in kind; -- the opposite of lend.
- To obtain or receive (something) on loan with the promise or understanding of returning it or its equivalent.
- To adopt or use as one's own: I borrowed your good idea.
- In subtraction, to take a unit from the next larger denomination in the minuend so as to make a number larger than the number to be subtracted.
- Linguistics To adopt (a word) from one language to use in another.
- To obtain or receive something.
- borrow trouble To take an unnecessary action that will probably engender adverse effects.