A fern of the genus Pteris, esp. the P. aquilina, common in almost all countries. It has solitary stems dividing into three principal branches. Less properly: Any fern.
- A device for slowing or stopping motion, as of a vehicle, especially by contact friction.
- Something that slows or stops action.
- To reduce the speed of with or as if with a brake.
- To operate or apply a brake.
- To be slowed or stopped by or as if by the operation of a brake.
- A toothed device for crushing and beating flax or hemp.
- A heavy harrow for breaking clods of earth.
- An apparatus for kneading large amounts of dough.
- A machine for bending and folding sheet metal.
- To crush (flax or hemp) in a toothed device.
- To break up (clods of earth) with a harrow.
- A lever or handle on a machine such as a pump.
- Any of various ferns of the genus Pteris having pinnately compound leaves and including several popular houseplants.
- Any of certain other ferns, such as the bracken or the cliff brake.
- An area overgrown with dense brushwood, briers, and undergrowth; a thicket.
- Variant of break.
- Archaic A past tense of break.