A European fresh-water cyprinoid fish of the genus Abramis, little valued as food. Several species are known.
- Any of several European freshwater fishes of the genus Abramis, especially A. brama, having a flattened body and silvery scales.
- A similar fish, especially:
- Any one of various saltwater fishes in the family Sparidae, such as the porgy.
- Any one of various freshwater sunfishes of the genus Lepomis and related genera, such as the bluegill.
- Nautical To clean (a wooden ship's hull) by applying heat to soften the pitch and then scraping.