To boil or seethe; to cook.
- To make (ale or beer) from malt and hops by infusion, boiling, and fermentation.
- To make (a beverage) by boiling, steeping, or mixing various ingredients: brew tea.
- To concoct; devise: brew a plot to overthrow the government.
- To make ale or beer as an occupation.
- To be made by boiling or steeping: As the coffee brewed, I paced in the kitchen.
- To be imminent; impend: "storms brewing on every frontier” ( John Dos Passos).
- A beverage made by brewing.
- A serving of such a beverage.
- Something produced as if by brewing; a mix: Their politics were a strange brew of idealism and self-interest.