The head gear with which a horse is governed and restrained, consisting of a headstall, a bit, and reins, with other appendages.
- A harness, consisting of a headstall, bit, and reins, fitted about a horse's head and used to restrain or guide the animal.
- A curb or check: put a bridle on spending.
- Nautical A span of chain, wire, or rope that can be secured at both ends to an object and slung from its center point.
- To put a bridle on.
- To control or restrain with or as if with a bridle. See Synonyms at restrain.
- To lift the head and draw in the chin as an expression of scorn or resentment.
- To show anger or resentment; take offense: bridling at the criticism.