A short, stiff, coarse hair, as on the back of swine.
- A stiff hair.
- A stiff hairlike structure: the bristles of a wire brush.
- To stand stiffly on end like bristles: The hair on the dog's neck bristled.
- To raise the bristles: The cat bristled at the sight of the large dog.
- To react in an angry or offended manner: The author bristled at the suggestion of plagiarism.
- To be covered or thick with or as if with bristles: The path bristled with thorns.
- To cause to stand erect like bristles; stiffen.
- To furnish or supply with bristles.
- To make bristly; ruffle.