The young birds hatched at one time; a hatch; as, a brood of chickens.
- The young of certain animals, especially a group of young birds or fowl hatched at one time and cared for by the same mother. See Synonyms at flock1.
- The children in one family.
- To sit on or hatch (eggs).
- To protect (young) by or as if by covering with the wings.
- To sit on or hatch eggs.
- To hover envelopingly; loom.
- To be deep in thought; meditate.
- To focus the attention on a subject persistently and moodily; worry: brooded over the insult for several days.
- To be depressed.
- Kept for breeding: a brood hen.