Not having sensation; senseless; inanimate; unconscious; without intelligence or volition; as, the brute earth; the brute powers of nature.
- An animal; a beast.
- A brutal, crude, or insensitive person.
- Of or relating to beasts; animal: "None of the brute creation requires more than food and shelter” ( Henry David Thoreau).
- Characteristic of a brute, especially:
- Entirely physical: brute force.
- Lacking or showing a lack of reason or intelligence: a brute impulse.
- Savage; cruel: brute coercion.
- Unremittingly severe: was driven to steal food through brute necessity.
- Coarse; brutish.