A fungus (Ustilago fœtida) which affects the ear of cereals, filling the grains with a fetid dust; -- also called pepperbrand.
- Baseball To bat (a pitched ball) by tapping it lightly so that the ball rolls slowly in front of the infielders.
- Baseball To cause (a base runner) to advance or (a run) to score by bunting.
- To push or strike with or as if with the head; butt.
- Baseball To bunt a pitched ball: The batter squared away to bunt.
- To butt.
- Baseball The act of bunting.
- Baseball A bunted ball.
- A butt with or as if with the head.
- The middle portion of a sail, especially a square one, that is shaped like a pouch to increase the effect of the wind.
- The pouchlike midsection of a fishing net in which the catch is concentrated.
- A smut disease of wheat and other cereal grasses, caused by fungi of the genus Tilletia and resulting in grains filled with foul-smelling, sooty black spores. Also called stinking smut.