Except with; unless with; without.
- On the contrary: the plan caused not prosperity but ruin.
- Contrary to expectation; yet: She organized her work but accomplished very little. He is tired but happy.
- Usage Problem Used to indicate an exception: No one but she saw the prowler.
- With the exception that; except that. Often used with that: would have joined the band but he couldn't spare the time; would have resisted but that they lacked courage.
- Informal Without the result that: It never rains but it pours.
- Informal That. Often used after a negative: There is no doubt but right will prevail.
- That . . . not. Used after a negative or question: There never is a tax law presented but someone will oppose it.
- If not; unless: "Ten to one but the police have got them” ( Charlotte M. Yonge).
- Informal Than: They had no sooner arrived but they turned around and left.
- Usage Problem Except.
- Merely; just; only: hopes that lasted but a moment.
- Used as an intensive: Get out of here but fast!
- but for Were it not for: except for: We would have reached the summit but for the weather.
Malayalam MeaningTransliteration ON/OFF | Not Correct/Proper?
ഇങ്ങനെയൊക്കെയാണെങ്കിലും - Inganeyokkeyaanenkilum | Inganeyokkeyanenkilum ;എങ്കിലും She is very old - Enkilum She Is Very Old ;ഇല്ലായിരുന്നെങ്കില് - Illaayirunnenkil | Illayirunnenkil ;മാത്രം - Maathram | Mathram ;എന്നാല് - Ennaal | Ennal ;അങ്ങനെയല്ലായിരുന്നെങ്കില് - Anganeyallaayirunnenkil | Anganeyallayirunnenkil ;