A by- passage, for a pipe, or other channel, to divert circulation from the usual course.
- A highway or section of a highway that passes around an obstructed or congested area.
- A pipe or channel used to conduct gas or liquid around another pipe or a fixture.
- A means of circumvention.
- Electricity See shunt.
- Medicine An alternative passage created surgically to divert the flow of blood or other bodily fluid or circumvent an obstructed or diseased organ.
- Medicine A surgical procedure to create such a channel: a coronary artery bypass; a gastric bypass.
- To avoid (an obstacle) by using an alternative channel, passage, or route.
- To be heedless of; ignore: bypassed standard office procedures.
- To channel (piped liquid, for example) through a bypass.