An esculent vegetable of many varieties, derived from the wild Brassica oleracea of Europe. The common cabbage has a compact head of leaves. The cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, etc., are sometimes classed as cabbages.
- Any of several forms of a European vegetable (Brassica oleracea var. capitata) of the mustard family, having a globose head consisting of a short stem and tightly overlapping green to purplish leaves.
- Any of several similar or related plants, such as Chinese cabbage.
- The terminal bud of several species of palm, eaten as a vegetable.
- Slang Money, especially in the form of bills.
- Informal Sweetheart; dear. Used as a term of endearment.