A box or inclosure, wholly or partly of openwork, in wood or metal, used for confining birds or other animals.
- A structure for confining birds or animals, enclosed on at least one side by a grating of wires or bars that lets in air and light.
- A barred room or fenced enclosure for confining prisoners.
- An enclosing openwork structure: placed a protective cage over the sapling; a bank teller's cage.
- A skeletal support, as for a building; a framework.
- An elevator car.
- Baseball A large wire screen placed behind home plate to stop balls in batting practice.
- Sports A goal, as in hockey or soccer, made of a net attached to a frame .
- To put or confine in or as if in a cage. See Synonyms at enclose.