To ascertain or determine by mathematical processes, usually by the ordinary rules of arithmetic; to reckon up; to estimate; to compute.
- To ascertain by computation; reckon: calculating the area of a circle; calculated their probable time of arrival.
- To make an estimate of; evaluate: calculating the team's chances of winning.
- To make for a deliberate purpose; design: a sturdy car that is calculated to last for years; a choice that was calculated to please.
- Chiefly New England To suppose: "I cal'late she's a right smart cook” ( Dialect Notes).
- Chiefly New England To plan, intend, or count on.
- To perform a mathematical process; figure: We must measure and calculate to determine how much paint will be needed.
- To predict consequences.
- Regional To suppose; guess.
- Regional To count, depend, or rely on someone or something: We're calculating on your help.