A carving in relief, esp. one on a small scale used as a jewel for personal adornment, or like.
- A gem or shell carved in relief, especially one in which the raised design and the background consist of layers of contrasting colors.
- The technique of carving in this way.
- A medallion with a profile cut in raised relief.
- A brief vivid portrayal or depiction: a literary cameo.
- A brief appearance of a prominent actor, as in a single scene of a motion picture. Also called cameo role.
- To make into or like a gem or shell carved in relief.
- To portray in sharp, delicate relief, as in a literary composition.
- To make a brief appearance, as in a film: She cameoed as Anne Boleyn in A Man for All Seasons.