A strong cloth made of hemp, flax, or cotton; -- used for tents, sails, etc.
- A heavy, coarse, closely woven fabric of cotton, hemp, or flax, used for tents and sails.
- A piece of such fabric on which a painting, especially an oil painting, is executed.
- A painting executed on such fabric.
- A fabric of coarse open weave, used as a foundation for needlework.
- The background against which events unfold, as in a historical narrative: a grim portrait of despair against the bright canvas of the postwar economy.
- Nautical A sail or set of sails.
- A tent or group of tents.
- A circus tent.
- Sports The floor of a ring in which boxing or wrestling takes place.
- under canvas Nautical With sails spread.
- under canvas In a tent or tents.