Of or pertaining to the head.
- A town or city that is the official seat of government in a political entity, such as a state or nation.
- A city that is the center of a specific activity or industry: the financial capital of the world.
- Wealth in the form of money or property, used or accumulated in a business by a person, partnership, or corporation.
- Material wealth used or available for use in the production of more wealth.
- Human resources considered in terms of their contributions to an economy: "[The] swift unveiling of his . . . plans provoked a flight of human capital” ( George F. Will).
- Accounting The remaining assets of a business after all liabilities have been deducted; net worth.
- Capital stock.
- Capitalists considered as a group or class.
- An asset or advantage: "profited from political capital accumulated by others” ( Michael Mandelbaum).
- A capital letter.
- First and foremost; principal: a decision of capital importance.
- First-rate; excellent: a capital idea.
- Relating to or being a seat of government.
- Extremely serious: a capital blunder.
- Involving death or calling for the death penalty: a capital offense.
- Of or relating to financial assets, especially being or related to those financial assets that add to the net worth of a business: made capital improvements at the plant site.
- Relating to or being a capital letter.
- Architecture The top part of a pillar or column.