a dry fruit or pod which is made up of several parts or carpels, and opens to discharge the seeds, as, the capsule of the poppy, the flax, the lily, etc.
- A small soluble container, usually made of gelatin, that encloses a dose of an oral medicine or a vitamin.
- Anatomy A fibrous, membranous, or fatty sheath that encloses an organ or part, such as the sac surrounding the kidney or the fibrous tissues that surround a joint.
- Microbiology A mucopolysaccharide outer shell enveloping certain bacteria.
- Botany A dry dehiscent fruit that develops from two or more united carpels.
- Botany The thin-walled, spore-containing structure of mosses and related plants.
- A space capsule.
- A brief summary; a condensation.
- Highly condensed; very brief: a capsule description.
- Very small; compact.
- To enclose in or furnish with a capsule.
- To condense or summarize: capsuled the news.