A head, or chief officer
- One who commands, leads, or guides others, especially:
- The officer in command of a ship, an aircraft, or a spacecraft.
- A precinct commander in a police or fire department, usually ranking above a lieutenant and below a chief.
- The designated leader of a team or crew in sports.
- A commissioned rank in the U.S. Army, Air Force, or Marine Corps that is above first lieutenant and below major.
- A commissioned rank in the U.S. Navy or Coast Guard that is above commander and below commodore.
- One who holds the rank of captain.
- A figure in the forefront; a leader: a captain of industry.
- One who supervises or directs the work of others, especially:
- A district official for a political party.
- A restaurant employee who is in charge of the waiters and usually attends to table seating.
- A bell captain.
- To act as captain of; command or direct: captained the football team.