Happening or coming to pass without design, and without being foreseen or expected; accidental; fortuitous; coming by chance.
- Occurring by chance. See Synonyms at chance.
- Occurring at irregular or infrequent intervals; occasional: casual employment at a factory; a casual correspondence with a former teacher.
- Unpremeditated; offhand: a casual remark.
- Being without ceremony or formality; relaxed: a casual evening with friends.
- Suited for everyday wear or use; informal.
- Not serious or thorough; superficial: a casual inspection.
- Showing little interest or concern; nonchalant: a casual disregard for cold weather.
- Lenient; permissive: a casual attitude toward drugs.
- Not close or intimate; passing: a casual acquaintance with avant-garde music.
- One that serves or appears at irregular intervals, especially a temporary worker.
- Casualwear: sent my casuals to the cleaners.
- A soldier temporarily attached to a unit while awaiting permanent assignment.